Thursday, November 8, 2018

Project Plan

The Package?
I'll be looking into the ZStandard compressor. It is supposed to be a higher speed compression software.  I have yet to be able to get a proper perf command to run on it so I'll be looking more into that as soon as I can. But the compression seems like It should be able to have some sort of modification done to either improve size or speed so that is what I am aiming for:

Testing/Data?

 I plan to use a variety of  photos and text files to and compress them all at the same time and separately. Use them as my bench marks to see how it can handle the different types of data.  This should allow for a better in depth look at which parts are used in the compression


Optimizing?

I'd first like to try compiler options to see if there is any obvious improvements or breaking of the program.  Things like setting to O3, enable vectorizing.. Additionally if the compiler settings do nothing or worsen it I will dig into the compression or decompression where hot spots show up to see what can be done. Again I have yet to be able to check due to server issues but that's the goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment